The knee joint is called Janu Sandhi in Sanskrit; hence the name Janu Vasti is given to the procedure done on knee joints. In this the knee joint is bathed with warm medicated oil or freshly prepared herbal decoction. Depending on the condition it can be practiced over both the knee joints or on one knee joint. Knee joints are considered as sandhiMarmain Ayurveda(joint type of vital areas) which measure about three fingers (three anguli pramana).So the janu vasti is specialized knee therapy or massage which rejuvenate thejanu marma. The healing properties of herbal oils used for this massage deeply cleans and enriches the blood, builds and maintains strong muscle and connective tissues and lubricates the joints keeping them flexible and pain free.
• The person is made to lie on his back on the massage table (Droni).
• Reservoir made of black gram dough is built upon the Knee Joint. The dough ring should be such that it covers the knee joint.
• After ensuring the ring is leakproof, the lukewarm medicated oil or herbal decoction is slowly poured into it. When that cools down, it is squeezed out with cotton gauze and the procedure is repeated.
• At the end of the procedure, the ring is removed and the affected area may be gently massaged The person is then made to take rest for a short while.
Duration of treatment:30 minutes
• Pacifies aggravated Vata dosha in the knee region
• Restores the lubricating fluid in the joint and maintain integrity of the structures involved in the joint.
• Removes stiffness and pain in Knee joint
• Protects knee joints from age related changes
• Increases blood circulation; thus strengthens and nourishes the knee joints
• Improves the mobility of the knee joints (knee flexion and knee extension)
It is indicated in the following conditions:
• Osteoarthritis of knee joints
• Arthrosis of knee joints
• Chronic pain of the knee joint
Maha narayana thailam